Sunday, January 29, 2012

Best Opportunity

As I've sort of discussed before, and I have talked to some about, I had planned to move to Denver after I was offered a position with the Denver Public School system. I even went out to Denver and had an apartment that was a ghetto dump. A breakdown and about 15 hours of back-and-forth deliberation with those closest to me later, it was decided that the whole thing was an utter mess and I returned back to St. George. I didn't plan on this happening (despite the people who have said they knew I'd be back and what not), I truly felt that Denver was going to be my new home.

Regardless, this is what happened, and despite my issues with life in Southern Utah, I am okay with where I am right now. I did say, upon returning, that it would probably be best for me to finish school and student teaching in Utah before moving on. (The fantastic school I have worked at for the past few years graciously took me back, no questions asked. I love this school & the lovely people I work with!) Anyway, I am in my senior year of the elementary education program, and spending nearly all my waking hours devoted to school. I also started speaking with my placement specialist, who finds me a school to student teach at. Student teaching is such a daunting, scary task. I have 12 weeks, where I can't work for money, but spend 40+ hours a week teaching, observing, planning, making a portfolio, etc, etc and attending a weekly seminar, on top of whatever else. It's a little nerve wracking and I still have 8 months before I really need to start sweating it. But, we know I'll be sweating September LONG before we get there.
Anyway, so we've started discussing placement. I really wasn't sure where I wanted to do my student teaching, it's one of those things that can cause some serious anxiety if you let it. However, I talked with a few people and *crossing my fingers* it seems like this may work out extremely well! Which, hopefully it does, because I would, of course, love that. Also, it would make me feel like I'm back for a reason. I love being able to watch football with my Dad and, like I said, the school I work at is great, but aside from a few things, it's not like I have a ton going on here that I couldn't have going on elsewhere. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not entirely sure why I'm back here currently. But I think that this student teaching deal is probably a big part of it. Of course, I plan to start looking for districts to teach in once I get closer to graduation. I truly feel that I have another locale in my near future.
On a little different note, how crazy is it that I'm less than a year from graduating! I know there were people who doubted it would ever happen, hell, I was one of those people for awhile. I mean, I do have a diploma, but an Associate's doesn't serve as much. But the Bachelors degree is a big exciting thing. Clearly, a huge party should be in planning mode now for December!! :)

Okay, this was really just a random, procrastinating post. I have an assignment I'm working on that kind of sucks. (Story of my life!!! :P)

0 comments: