
Who doesn't love Cafe Rio?? I'm pretty sure anyone who has had it loves it...except Lynda...but anyway, I was using some leftover grilled chicken (btw George Forman grills changed my life!!!) and I decided to do a salad with it, but I was feeling the whole Mexican--add rice & beans thing but I knew that I didn't want normal salad dressing for it & I didn't think that salsa would do it justice. So, I searched out a copycat recipe for the dressing we all love so much--the creamy tomatillo, or the House dressing at Cafe Rio. I tried it and LOVED it. It's more smooth when you make it at home & you can adjust the spiciness of it. (Personally, Rio makes theirs a little bit hotter than necessary so my homemade kind was PERFECT!!) Plus, you can add a few changes to make it a little bit more healthy....like I used light mayo and skim milk.
So here it is...................
1 packet ranch dressing mix
2 tomatillos (I got these at Harmons...they are tomatoes with skins & they're super cheap there.)
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 garlic clove
1 jalepeno pepper (This is where you can adjust how spicy your dressing is...it will make it muy caliente if you put the seeds in. I left them out and it had just enough zing to it for my liking)
The juice of one lime
Just make the dressing like it says on the package (add milk & mayo). Throw the rest in a food processor (which btw, another life changer is the magic bullet. I am IN LOVE with it!!!), mix it all & then voila--you have rio dressing in your own kitchen.
This recipe makes A LOT of dressing. I halved it and it made a good two/three cups. The dressing should stay good in the fridge for two weeks. Enjoy it, love it, call me over for dinner when you're making it!!!!! :)
I found a recipe for their pork too, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll share & if you get to it before me, let me know what you think of it!!!
3-4 pounds pork roast
1 cup brown sugar
3 cups salsa
Put in a slow cooker on low for 10 hours.




2 comments:
Yes yes n yes! I love cafe rio n we're going there like every chance we get! Or ur making it at home! haha. And yes, Crackberrys r the shizNit!!
Ha ha yes, I completely agree. But we will try it at home too to see how that pork is!!! And I am completely agree, I am SOOO addicted to my crackberry. I love it!
Post a Comment