Saturday, March 21, 2009

Disenchanted

After spending some clinical time at Kolob Care & Rehab in St. George, Utah, I have never ever been so grateful for Luther Manor, the nursing home where my Grandma spent the last years of her life. She was always so happy and looked amazing whenever we went to visit her, and the place was run so well. I wish that my experience at Kolob would have been similar, but it definitely was not. It's just so sad when you see people who have spent their lives doing amazing things and taking care of others, being treated SO poorly when they have reached their final days and can no longer fend for themselves. I know that taking care of others is a physically and emotionally demanding task, but if you are going to yell at them, leave them a mess, and just sit on the internet and ignore them when they need your help, then maybe you've chosen the wrong field of work??? 


Oh, I also got my first huge rush of adrenaline....ok, I probably had a few while working as a physical therapy aide, but this one was pretty intense. While, two of us students were left alone with some 20 residents at lunch time...which I was uncomfortable with after this had happened EVERY meal that we were there for, but buy the 4th meal I had witnessed this, I was getting used to. Anyway, one of the poor guys choked on his lunch and he was shades of blue and purple & had lost control of his reflexes before this passed. Both of us students were freaking out, trying to figure out what we needed to do because HELLO, we haven't been trained on these things, but there were no employees anywhere on the entire hall that we were on. Yeah, it was intense. Fortunately, he was fine in the end, but I hope if I ever end up training anyone, I never leave them alone in a situation like that. 

Other than that, spring break has been a lot of laziness & catching up on all the DVR shows I have saved for the last few weeks before that. I got to go shooting with my dad & sister which was a lot more fun than I thought it might be and I have a wedding later today where my sister's band is playing the reception, so all in all, other than lots of clinical hours, this break has been a good way to get away from it all for a few days! 

Has anyone taken the phlebotomy class? I'm thinking of doing it this summer, but I wanted to know if it was worth it???? And, if it's a very hard class to do with physiology?

0 comments: